Sunday, August 7, 2011

Review: Jimi's Beer Cafe, Koramangala, Bangalore

Jimi's Beer Cafe
Qwiky's Coffee Building, #467, 80ft road, 6th block, Koramangala , Bangalore
Landmark: Near BMTC Bus Depot
Phone: 41217849


Where is the bloody entrance? Why can't I enjoy what looks like a great place to just chill out to some rock music with a pitcher of beer? Don't worry kiddies. You just have to enter this local watering hole through a coffee shop. They share the same entrance. Once you figure that out, you are in for a good time.

Jimis is one of the places I wanted to check out when I first came to Bangalore. It had several things going on. It is a stones throw away from where I live and the place is named after my favorite guitarist of all time, Jimi Hendrix. And did I mention it's a BEER cafe? Sign me up!

The term beer cafe is slightly misleading. When you mention those words, I'm expecting a place where you can get beer from across the world, especially my favorite, the Guinness extra stout. I haven't had Guinness since I came to India and I'm missing it quite terribly. But at Jimis, they only serve Fosters or Kingfisher aka piss water, which was quite disappointing when we first looked at the menu.

The ambiance. Jimis is basically a glorified version of a local watering hole. It has a smoking and a non smoking section. The smoking section is much smaller and can get quite stuffy but once the beer starts going down by the pitcher, it doesn't really matter. The seating in the smoking section is designed for midgets. We were barely able to squeeze into a table for two. So we switched to the couch that's seats 4 and is infinitely more comfortable. The song selection is decent. I was expecting, you know, Jimi Hendrix but I heard only a couple of songs of his both times we went there. There was some Metallica, Floyd, Aerosmith, Nirvana; basically a lot of classics. The selection was quite good overall.

The food selection. We opted for the vegetarian items during our first visit. We ordered the pasta, which was above average and a veggie sub, which can be described as mammoth. It was just something to munch on while we washed it down with some beer. For our second visit, we decided to try the non vegetarian items on the menu. We ordered the chilli pork, which was fantastic albeit a little cold. We ordered a chicken burger to go along with it. The only problem with the burger was that the bun was too hard. When I order a burger, I'm expecting a soft exterior to enhance the crispiness of the chicken, but that was not the case here. Overall the food was pretty good for a pub.

There are various options when it comes to the serving size of the beer. You can get the pint, pitcher or the alcoholic's dream, the fountain. The prices are pretty cheap. We ordered a pitcher during the first visit and got Fosters, which was great. The second visit, we ordered the pitcher again and we got the glorified piss water, I mean Kingfisher. That completely ruined our experience. I don't know if we have to request for Fosters specifically when ordering a pitcher. Next time, we are definitely doing that.

Overall, Jimis is pretty solid to get an after work beer or a before work beer if you want to live dangerously. Cheap beer and something to munch on during the inhalation of the said beer are the major plus points here. The ambiance is quite good and the service is slightly slower than your average pub but the chill factor overrides that.

This has been our default place to get beer and to relax after a stressful week of work and it gets the job done quite well. I'm quite happy to call Jimis my local watering hole and it'll remain the same until I leave Bangalore.

Items ordered -

First visit:

Death wish beer cocktail and a pitcher of beer
Club sandwich
Pasta

Total cost: 800

Second visit:

Pitcher of beer
Chilli pork
Chicken burger

Total cost - 880

No comments:

Post a Comment